Tuesday, January 7, 2014

EXCLUSIVE Musician Spotlight Sarah Barrios Interview

From the Connecticut town of Torrington comes a beautiful, talented nineteen year old singer by the name of Sarah Barrios. Sarah has been nominated by New England Music Awards in the New Act of the Year category. You can find out who wins on February 22nd, 2014 at the Lowell Auditorium.

We recently had the chance to interview this nineteen year old up and coming singer. Below is our interview with Sarah.

When did you start singing?
I've been singing ever since I was a little girl, my parents had been in a band when they were younger and sing and play instruments, so we've always had music in the home. I would sing anything and everything no matter where I was, ask my mom, I used to sing in the isles of the grocery store! Haha

Was it your dream to be a singer?
Absolutely. When I was young, I always put on little concerts for my family or the classic singing into a hairbrush. As I grew older, that dream never really left me, but I just never thought I'd actually be able to do it, this is a hard business to get into.  But I realized that this, music, singing, this is the only thing that has been a constant in my life.  I decided I was going to give it a shot and hope that maybe I'll be able to do it for the rest of my life.

Tell us about your style of singing?
I like to call it "acoustic pop with an indie twist". It's pop music, it's catchy, and fun but it's not just pop. It has something more that draws you in. An indie feel and sound that changes it from just generic pop to something different. Me.

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
Definitely. It can be very difficult getting your name out there and I think before I pursued music I just thought you sang a little and then, boom, you've got yourself a record deal and millions of fans.  But I know now it does take work and time and sometimes you get tired doing multiple gigs or promoting but doing those things is enjoyable and it helps get my name out there. The work is definitely worth it!

Do your parents and friends support you?
Yes. I am so grateful to have family and friends who are so supportive. My parents do so much for me, I definitely would not be able to pursue this career without them. And my friends always help with spread the word about events or even coming along. I'm surrounded by many amazing an loving people.

Do you write your own songs?
I do! I've been writing since I was about 13

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
To write a great song, you need to feel what you're writing about for that moment. Like playing a character. For example, when I write a song about love, I may not be in love at the moment, but I go to a place in my mind where I let the feeling of love fill me up, I pull from my past and imagine how I would feel in that situation. Even in you're not writing about something you've experienced, it's important to put yourself in that person or characters shoes, to feel what they feel. That's what really separates a good song from a great one.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first performance was at Infinity Hall and Bistro in Norfolk, CT at their Open Mic Night. I was excited, but I was really, REALLY nervous. I had never really showcased my voice or music so it was safe to say I was freaking out! But it was a lot of fun!

Where have you been able to perform?
I have performed at Bridge Street Live in Collinsville,The Space and The Spaceland Ballroom in Hamden, The Vanilla Bean Café in Pomfret, The Webster Theatre in Hartford and many other venues

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
I have a few people who inspire me. Singing wise, Ellie Goulding, and Ed Sheeran inspire me. I love the tone on their voices and just the way they sound. And songwriting wise, Ed Sheeran is the main person I look to for inspiration. The way he writes in such detail and so vividly helps you to feel and understand exactly what he is singing about, and that all goes atop a catchy melody.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Hmm this is a great question because one of my dreams is to travel the world.  I can't choose one so maybe my top three?
1) London
I've wanted to go to England for years, I absolutely love everything about it, the history, the food, the culture, the music and especially the accents! So to be able to play there would be unbelievable!
2) Australia
Australia just seems like such an interesting an vibrant place, the culture is so inviting and I think it would be so much fun to perform there in the sun by the beach!
3) Madison Square Garden in NY
I have grown up watching the biggest stars in music perform at MSG and I know that to be able to play there is an amazing honor.  This is a dream of mine, to play where so many amazing musicians have played before. Playing MSG is a goal of mine that I hope to one day fulfill.

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
Ed Sheeran is my number one dream performer seeing as he is a musician I look up to. But I also like a lot of different music and I'm probably going to sound like every teen girl on the planet right now but I'm slightly obsessed with a boyband called One Direction. They're all roughly around my age and I find their concerts to be a lot of fun to watch so I think performing with them would be a blast!

What are some of your goals for your Music?
I hope to one day be signed to a record label, to hear my music on the radio, and to play to thousands of people in a sold out arena. I am working hard to make that dream come true.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I hope to reach as many people as possible with my songs and I hope that what I write about can speak to them and help them in some way. I know that when I'm having a bad day or even a good day, music is what helps me so I want to be able to do that for others.

What three words best describe you and your music?
Unique
Authentic
Fun

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Never stop going for your dreams. People may think you won't be able to make it, that the chances of you becoming a well known singer/songwriter are slim, and that maybe true, but don't ever let that stop you. You have a dream, you go for it, pour your heart and soul into your music and take the chance.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
Just that I'm just trying to share my music with people and I hope that they enjoy it as much as I enjoy making it and that it speaks to them. I will never make a song that doesn't have meaning or purpose.

Do you have any other talents?
I'm pretty good at doing accents haha you can ask my brothers, I always talk in different accents from time to time. I also like to write so I do a bit of writing of little stories I come up with from time to time and I did a bit of acting a little while ago which I do miss being apart of but music is my main talent.

Tell our readers how you felt when you found out about your New England Music Awards nomination?
I was absolutely thrilled and honored. I got a call from my mom who told me, and I was so so excited! It is such an honor to be nominated, I was so surprised that I was nominated but I was and still am so excited to be amongst so many amazing acts!

Sarah's Sites:
https://www.facebook.com/sarahbarriosmusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/sarahelizabeth153
www.twitter.com/sarahelizb
www.instagram.com/sarahbarrios

Keep an eye and ear out for Sarah who is on the rise. Sarah is a beautiful, talented singer who has a bright future ahead of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment